* Hot air balloons are based on a very basic scientific principle: warmer air rises in cooler air.
* The first passengers of a hot air balloon in 1783 were animals. A Sheep, Duck, and a Hen.
* You need to have a Balloon Pilots License in order to fly the balloon.
* Balloons simply float with the wind. The pilot can control the balloon's altitude to find a wind going in the desired direction, but you cannot fly upwind or crosswind. So even though the pilot can't steer the balloon, he can move up and down to find a layer of air that will allow the balloon to change direction.
* The most popular sport size balloons cost from $20,000 to $30,000+ when brand new. A commercial balloon can cost $45,000 to $60,000+.